top of page

You've just been served-- now what?

Whether through a private process server or your local sheriff, you've just been handed a lawsuit-- a summons and petition stating that you are being sued. Your first instinct may be to panic-- don't.

Under Florida law, you have twenty (20) days to file your response, or answer, which must be filed with the clerk of court in the county where you have been sued. The summons will contain the information as to how and where to filed your answer.

It is always a good idea to consult with an attorney during that time, to gain a better understanding of what a legally sufficient response should contain. You may be upset when you review the allegations contained in the petition, and think that the claims are outrageous. By filing your answer, you have the opportunity to give the court your version of the facts and engage in the case. It is important not to ignore the summons. If you fail to file a response within the allotted time, a default may be entered against you, and you may not have another opportunity to defend yourself.

An attorney can explain other options to you as well, including seeking that the action against you be dismissed, if you feel the claims presented are without merit. By consulting with an attorney, you will gain valuable knowledge that will help put your mind at ease during a difficult time. Call 904-608-3694 today to schedule a consultation with an experienced attorney who can advise you as to your rights and responsibilities when being sued.

Featured Posts
Check back soon
Once posts are published, you’ll see them here.
Recent Posts
Search By Tags
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square
Follow Us
bottom of page