You've just been served-- now what?

July 22, 2016

Whether through a private process server or your local sheriff, you've just been handed a lawsuit-- a summons and petition stating that you are being sued. Your first instinct may be to panic-- don't.

Under Florida law, you have twenty (20) days to file your response, or answer, which must be filed with the clerk of court in the county where you have been sued. The summons will contain the information as to how and where to filed your answer. 

 It is always a good idea to consult with an attorney during that time, to gain a better understanding of what a legally sufficient response should contain. You may be upset when you review the allegations contained in the petition, and think that the claims are outrageous. By filing  your answer, you have the opportunity to give the court your version of the facts and engage in the case. It is important not to ignore the summons. If you fail to file a response within the allotted time, a default may be entered against you, and you may not have another opportunity to defend yourself. 

An  attorney can explain other options to you as well, including seeking that the action against you be dismissed, if you feel the claims presented are without merit.  By consulting with an attorney, you will gain valuable knowledge that will help put your mind at ease during a difficult time. Call 904-608-3694 today to schedule a consultation with an experienced attorney who can advise you as to your rights and responsibilities when being sued.



Please reload

Featured Posts

I'm busy working on my blog posts. Watch this space!

Please reload

Recent Posts
Please reload

Please reload

Search By Tags
Please reload

Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square

All materials have been prepared for general information purposes only to permit you to learn more about our firm, our services and the experience of our attorneys.  The information presented is not legal advice, is not to be acted on as such, does not create an attorney-client relationship and is subject to change without notice.